In addition to projects that respond directly to the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, the Order of the Holy Sepulchre also supports projects related to ROACO (Reunion of Aid Agencies for the Oriental Churches). Here below the 2015 projects.
RESTORATION OF THE MELKITE PARISH CHURCH IN TAYBEH (PALESTINE)
Located in the district of Ramallah, the small Christian village of Taybeh has 1,300 inhabitants of which about 150 are Greek-Melkite. The Greek-Melkite church was built in 1964 and since then maintenance work has never been scheduled. This current project aims to secure the structure in order to allow the local community to benefit in peace.
RENOVATION AND EXPANSION OF QENA PRIMARY SCHOOL (EGYPT)
There are just under 100 children attending the school of the Franciscan Friars Minor in the village of Taweirat, which is in the Diocese of Thebes-Luxor and the province of Qena. The school is free and open to all children of the village, where the majority of inhabitants are Muslim, and where there is a very active population of about 1,500 Catholics who have been given the joy of many religious vocations. The building, which was built in 1954, is no longer safe and there is urgent need for it to be demolished to allow for the construction of a new building that can peacefully accommodate the growing number of students.
CONSTRUCTION OF A FENCE FOR THE HOSPITAL OF ST. VINCENT DE PAUL COMPLEX IN NAZARETH (ISRAEL)
In 1898 the Daughters of Charity founded the “French Hospital” of St. Vincent de Paul, to serve the area of Nazareth and nearby cities. Currently the establishment works mainly in the fields of gynecology and pediatrics, thus providing crucial support to the local people. Located near one of the main streets in the centre of Nazareth, the hospital complex has recently been a target of theft and vandalism. Constructing the fence will lower the possibilities of further damage in the future. The Lieutenancy for France was happy to take charge of the entire project and we extend our gratitude for the generous commitment.
RENOVATION OF THE BUILDING, PARISH OFFICES, AND THE CONSTRUCTION OF A PARKING LOT AT THE GREEK-MELKITE CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST. ELIAS IN ISFIYA (ISRAEL)
Isfiya is a village in which the majority are Druze, but where there is great religious diversity. In fact, there are 1,800 Greek-Catholics living in Isfiya, in the area of Mount Carmel, in addition to 200 Maronite Catholics, 700 Muslims and 50 Jews. At the end of the renovation work, the church of St. Elias will undoubtedly offer better services to local people.
RESTORATION OF THE MARONITE PARISH CHURCH ST. GEORGE IN KORMAKITIS (CYPRUS)
The village of Kormakitis is inhabited by a small Catholic Maronite community. The church of St. George is located at the centre of the village and was built at the beginning of the last century. It is currently in urgent need of structural work as well as improvement in the management of its outdoor spaces that will be able to accommodate religious and cultural events.
PURCHASE OF TECHNOLOGICAL EQUIPMENT AND EDUCATIONAL GAMES FOR THE “PETER NETTEKOVEN” KINDERGARTEN IN BEIT SAHOUR (PALESTINE)
The “Peter Nettekoven” kindergarten of the Greek-Melkite Catholic Patriarchate has five classes, plus one dedicated to teaching the English language, and it welcomes about 140 children between ages three and five. In educating the younger generation, the ability to help children to grow to be familiar with technology has become important. This current project therefore includes purchasing equipment, such as computers and projectors, as well as greater utilization of educational games at the service of pupils, which are an excellent means of learning for this particular age group. We extend our gratitude to the Dutch Lieutenancy for funding this project.
CREATING A PLAYGROUND AT THE “AL-LIQA’A” KINDERGARTEN IN BEIT HANINA (PALESTINE)
The “Al-Liqa’a” kindergarten is located on the outskirts of Jerusalem and belongs to the Greek-Melkite Catholic Patriarchate. The structure accommodates about 150 children of which around half are Christians. The project includes constructing an area for sports and playing, which can be used not only by the children of the kindergarten but also by youth groups.
THE OPHTHALMOLOGY DEPARTMENT AT THE ITALIAN HOSPITAL IN KERAK (JORDAN)
The Italian Hospital in Kerak, a town of about 250,000 inhabitants, which is considered to be among the poorest of the Jordan, was founded in 1935 and is run by the Comboni Sisters. It is a small hospital with 50 beds and various operating units that serve the entire population, which has recently grown due to the large number of Syrian immigrants. The structure is self-financing but, in the case of extraordinary expenses, it relies on the generosity of donors. The ophthalmology department opened six years ago and recorded around 4,000 cases in the year 2014 alone. The project includes purchasing medical equipment that would allow surgeries to take place on site, to avoid sending patients to Amman (140 km away) for cataract operations.
(January 16, 2016)